Monday, 7 November 2011

Walk the Plank....

My youngest is obsessed with the local fitness place. He got a yearly pass, which provided him with a credit-card like membership card that he keeps safe in his wallet and scans across the blinking red eye with an adult-like confidence.
I'm not sure what he likes more, putting on his gym shorts, grabbing his indoor shoes and scanning the card like an adult on a mission, or having us pretend we've never been to a fitness center before. He's the expert, shows us around the facility, makes sure we follow the correct direction and lane designation on the track. We do a weight machine circuit, pull out the agility ladder, make an obstacle course, jump up on really high things. We shoot hoops in the gym, play soccer in the indoor soccer field, and he scores and his confidence soars and I am in heaven. He has us swim laps, play Simon says in the deep tank, struggle for breath in the sauna and for the HIGHLIGHT of our day....

The super terrifying high diving board.

Oh my god. Have you ever, as an adult, jumped off the high diving board?
I mean, I'm a total adrenaline junkie, and I was terrified.
I walked up the ladder, walked to the edge and looked down. A gang of seven year olds had assembled, waiting their turn as the old lady hogged the fun stuff. Not wanting to disappoint them, I plugged my nose, closed my eyes and stepped into the free fall....
Splash.
I swam to Lifepartner and young son waiting on the side and exclaimed
"that's terrifying....I'm going again!"

Tomorrow, we try ballroom dance lessons. I'm even more terrified. The leather heels, the dresses, the grace and beauty and coordination that I was born without.
I've been studying YouTube videos to practice for the first lesson.
Ball step
One and two
Three and four.

No comments:

Post a Comment